What is Arestin®?
Arestin® (minocycline HCl 1mg) microspheres is a treatment for chronic periodontitis, an infection of the gums. Arestin uses new microsphere technology to easily and effectively kill the germs that cause periodontal disease.
What is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease is when bacteria builds up on your teeth under the gums, causing your gums to become red and swollen. This condition, known as inflammation, if left untreated eventually results in damage of your teeth, bone loss and eventual tooth loss
How Does Arestin work?
Arestin is the antibiotic and is administered locally, directly into the infected pockets of your teeth. A dentist or dental hygienist can administer Arestin after scaling and root planing (deep cleaning), a procedure used to treat periodontal disease.
When used together with deep cleaning, Arestin significantly reduces the depth of infected pockets and helps prevent progression of periodontal disease.
- Treatment with Arestin (minocycline HCl 1mg) microspheres is fast, easy and effective
- Treating periodontal disease with Arestin in conjunction with scaling and root planing (deep cleaning) at the onset of the disease shows great results
- Patients treated with Arestin experience minimal or no side effects
- Arestin does not require bandages or stitches
- Arestin is bio adhesive and bioresorbable which means that it will not leak or fall out and leaves nothing to be removed by the dentist or hygienist in a follow up visit
- Treating periodontal disease with Arestin plus deep cleaning can help keep gum pockets below the threshold for surgical intervention
- Arestin doesn’t require anesthesia because application is comfortable
- Who can benefit from Arestin (minocycline HCl 1mg)?
Most patients with periodontal disease can benefit from Arestin. However, Arestin should not be used on children and pregnant or nursing women.
- Is treatment with Arestin a new procedure?
The use of a locally administered antibiotic is not a new concept. For many decades dentists have used antibiotics in conjunction with scaling and root planing treatment. However, Arestin is the first locally administered time-released antibiotic encapsulated in microspheres. Microspheres make Arestin a fast, easy treatment that doesn’t cause discomfort and provide a better effect than deep cleaning alone.
- Does Arestin work?
Yes, Arestin plus scaling and root planing is an effective treatment for periodontal disease compared to scaling and root planing alone. Clinical studies show that patients who received a combined treatment of scaling and root planing and Arestin maintained healthier gums and pockets versus those who were treated with scaling and root planing alone.
- How long does treatment with Arestin take?
Treatment time for placement depends on the location and the number of periodontal pocket sites, but generally the procedure is fast, easy and comfortable.
- Will I have to return to the dentist to have Arestin removed?
No. Arestin does not require bandages and won’t leak or fall out. It is naturally absorbed by the body and does not leave anything to be removed by your dentist.
- Does treatment with Arestin hurt?
Treatment with Arestin is easy and doesn’t cause discomfort. There is no need for anesthetic, which means no needles.
- Are there any side effects?
Minimal side effects were reported. Arestin does not alter taste buds, cause teeth staining, or stomach upset.
- How much does Arestin cost?
The cost of Arestin treatment will vary depending upon your treatment needs. After your dentist has evaluated your oral health and discussed the treatment options, he or she can provide you with an estimate of the cost. Keep in mind that treating your gum disease today is less costly and better for your health than waiting to treat symptoms at a more advanced stage.
To learn more about Arestin antibiotic treatment in Riverdale, New York, and make an appointment with our Dr. Eric Poznyansky, call Riverdale Dental P.C. today at 718-548-3353.